If you’ve long wanted to try out writing, or if you’ve been secretly whipping out one story or poem after another, now is the time for you to come out of your shell.
Nagkahiusang Magsusulat sa Cagayan de Oro (NAGMAC), in partnership with the Xavier Center for Culture and the Arts (XCCA), recently announced its call for applications for the 2016 CDO Writing Clinic. The literary fellowship is divided into four genres: poetry, fiction, literary essay, and drama. Schedule of clinics will be from September to December this year.
The CDO Writing Clinic intends to gather 24 Northern Mindanao-born or based poets, fictionists, essayists, and playwrights. For every genre, there are six fellowships available. Each applicant can apply for more than one genre, but their manuscripts must be original and unpublished. The CDO Writing Clinic schedule is as follows:
- Poetry – September 18
- Fiction – October 16
- Literary Essay – November 20
- Drama – December 11
The requirements and instruction for application are indicated below:
- As previously mentioned, each applicant is allowed to apply for more than one genre.
- Manuscripts, as indicated earlier, should be original and unpublished. They can be in Binisaya, Tagalog, and/or English.
- Applicants’ entries should contain four poems, two short stories, two literary essays (creative nonfiction, personal/lyric essays, travel narratives, or memoirs), or a one-act play.
- Applicants should not have been fellows to the CDO Writers Workshops or any regional and national writers workshops.
- Electronic copies (preferably in .docx/.doc format, Garamond font 12) of the manuscript may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org the subject Genre_CDO Writing Clinic (example, Fiction_CDO Writing Clinic). The author’s name should NOT appear on the manuscript. On the email’s body, include the full name, address (city/town and province in the region), institutional affiliation (workplace and/or school), mobile number, and a short bio note (150-300 words in the third person).
- Deadlines for submission are as follows:
- -Poetry and Fiction: August 31
- -Literary Essay and Drama: September 30
- All inquiries must be directed to https://www.facebook.com/cdopoetrynight/, NAGMAC’s official Facebook page.
This is a chance of a lifetime you should not miss. Take time to discover your hidden talents and allow your creativity to flow. Get your pens and papers out and go out of your comfort zone. Join the 2016 CDO Writing Clinic now!
(Photo from pixabay.com. Free-to-download images: https://pixabay.com/en/pen-paper-notebook-business-office-994464/)